Do you dream of permanent removal of annoying, dark hair from your hands, legs and other body parts? Your skin develops allergic reactions to cosmetics for home hair removal? If you want to find out whether laser hair removal is for you, go through the answers to the most frequent questions.
How to prepare yourself for laser hair removal?
• Shave the area that will be treated before the visit.
• Do not take medications containing retinoid. Therapy based on those compounds should be discontinued at least 6 months before first treatment session.
• To ensure that the hair follicles are intact do not use tweezers, electric device, wax or sugar paste to remove hair from the area that will be treated otherwise you must wait between 4-8 weeks to undergo the treatment.
• Avoid sun exposure 2 to 4 weeks before the treatment. Adverse reactions can include hyper-pigmentation, burns, and scars.
• Stop using creams and ointments containing: A and C vitamins, fruit acids and retinoid on the area on which the treatment will be performed for the period of 4 weeks before treatment session.
• Refrain from consuming herbal teas and medications for the period of around 10 days before the procedure.
• Use moisturizing creams and other hydrating cosmetics at least for a week before the procedure, in order to make sure that during laser hair removal the skin is well hydrated and free from irritations.
• On the day of the procedure the skin should be cosmetics and oil free.
What are the contradictions to laser hair removal procedure?
• Pregnancy or breast-feeding period.
• Patients with skin conditions, such as psoriasis or vitiligo as well as neoplastic diseases.
• Epilepsy patients should consult a physician, who will be able to assess whether laser hair removal is not a threat in this particular case.
• Temporary contradiction is a therapy with photosensitive medications (i.e. retinoid) or herbs (i.e. calendula, St. John’s Wort or camomile).
• Fresh tanned skin.
Does laser hair removal work on blonde hair?
Laser can’t differentiate blond, red or grey hair from the surrounding tissue. Laser hair removal works by preferentially targeting the melanin in hair follicles. As a result, patients with high-color contrasts, such as those with dark hair and light skin, tend to respond best to treatment.
How long does one laser hair removal session take?
Depending on the size of the area from which the hair is removed – the procedure lasts from 5 minutes (in case of moustache or sideburns hair removal) to 90 minutes (in case of full body hair removal) First visit in our salon is prolonged by 15 minutes, which are used for preliminary survey allowing to asses presence of permanent contradictions.
Is a single session enough to obtain satisfying effect?
Single session allows to permanently remove about 15 – 30 % of hair – depending on how much hair is in growth phase (anagen) when the procedure is performed. 6 – 8 cycles should be performed at 6 weeks intervals in order to obtain the effect of reducing the amount of hair by 70-95%. This will allow the laser beam to act on bigger number of follicles in growth phase and permanently deprive them of the ability to produce new hair.
Is laser hair removal painful?
Certainly laser hair removal doesn’t hurt as much as waxing or electric epilators. The level of discomfort experienced during laser hair removal depends on individual pain tolerance, but since the treatment is quick even the most sensitive person can undergo the treatment. In order to ensure the highest level of comfort during the treatments at our salons we use cooling compresses, reducing any remaining feeling of discomfort.
What is the recommended aftercare following laser hair removal procedure?
• Avoid sun exposure at least 2 weeks after the treatment.
• Use sunscreens with SPF 50 on treated areas.
• For 2 weeks avoid peelings and creams canting acids and A and C vitamins.
• For 3- 5 days avoid going to the swimming pool or sauna.
• Do not use deodorants or antiperspirants containing alcohol in their formula.
• Keep the skin moisturized by using fragrance-free moisturizers and creams.
If you wish to speak directly to our customer care team to know more about laser hair removal, please call 0203 769 4476 and we will be happy to help. Alternatively you can leave your phone number here and we will call you straight back.